When deciding what to wear for your family portrait session, remember to stay true to yourself. Confidence is beauty! If you are all loving your looks you will feel comfortable and confident. And then you can really focus on making beautiful portraits and not tugging at your pants. Remember to keep your location in mind- if we are meeting at a farm, would heels or flats be more comfortable for you? Try on some fun accessories, play with textures, use color! Let your personality show and choose things that highlight your best features. Let the kids have a say in their outfits so that they will be comfortable and happy too. If they’re not – it will show!
So, here are a few tips that can help.
- Coordinate, but don’t match. Choose a color scheme and work it into all the looks in a thoughtful way.
- Texture looks great on camera and adds interest to your photos. Top your lace dress with a jean jacket, wear that burgundy velvet skirt or let your daughter wear her favorite tulle skirt!
- Choose necklines and shapes that flatter your figure. And don’t forget to test out sitting and crouching in your chosen outfit in the mirror to check out all of the angles.
- Go for styles that are classic and current but not trendy. You’ll want this portrait to look timeless, and you can use accessories thoughtfully to add a little more personality to your look!
- If you want to get a haircut before our session, make sure to do it a few days before, not the day before. Give your hair time to settle in with the new look before immortalizing it in pictures.
- Nails and shoes matter! Nothing ruins a great shot like chipped nails or scuffed shoes. Pay attention to all of the details of your looks.
If you still feel like you need a little help, go to Pinterest! This Pinterest board shows examples of all of these ideas at work.
Interested in a fall mini session for your family? Click here to get more details about the upcoming sessions!
627 Photography is owned + operated by Amy Hill in Cary, North Carolina focusing on high school senior photography, family photography and headshot photography, serving clients in Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill. Contact me today to reserve your session, peek behind the scenes on Instagram and follow along on Facebook for promotions and previews.