We had one last summer shoot before school (and specifically, senior year) begins! We met on a rooftop of a parking deck in downtown Raleigh at sunset for some summer fun! And now these girls are back in school and officially SENIORS!!
Over the years of having a Senior Model Team and quite a few team shoots, I inadvertently came up with a plan to have a smooth shoot. Once I have an idea in my head, it helps to convey it to the team so that they know how to prepare and what to expect. Setting expectations is key, because you don’t want one person to show up in a prom dress and the other in sneakers and a crop top. There are several factors to consider- the season, the theme, the outfits, how many can attend, the location, etc.
Here are a few ways to create a plan for a smooth senior model team shoot~
- Choose the theme or overall vibe first. You might go for something specific, like fall in the pumpkin patch, or you might go a little more vague like summer fun. Both will work
- Choose an interesting location- this rooftop gave us plenty of space for our big group and a few different spots to get variety in their individual shots (yet still look cohesive).
- Give a color pallet so everyone can build an outfit within their style, yet look cohesive as a group.
- Create a Pinterest board. This helps me create a visual plan and gives the team an idea of the direction I’m going in
- Ask the team to share their outfits in our group chat (with pictures). This helps to make sure that everyone’s outfit will work together and make sure we get the variety we want in the looks of the group.
And be prepared to go with the flow when needed! Every plan is just an outline- the day of the shoot may bring about unexpected changes (the weather, unexpected people at your location, etc) but as long as everyone has fun and a positive attitude, you will all have a smooth shoot! And get beautiful pictures! 🙂
This is the Class of 2023 Senior Model Team. If you’d like more information about the Class of 2024 Senior Model Team, click here.
If you’d like information about scheduling your own high school or college senior portrait session, get in touch!
627 Photography is owned + operated by Amy Hill in Apex, North Carolina focusing on high school senior portraits and headshot/branding photography, serving clients in Apex, Cary, and Raleigh. Contact me today to reserve your session, peek behind the scenes on Instagram and follow along on Facebook for the latest sessions and information!